A rough storm came up one night and left a sandy beach strewn with starfish. The next morning, a child walked along the shore, stopping every few feet to pick up a starfish and flinging it out into the sea. An old man watched the child and finally shouted at him, "Why bother, son? There's too many starfish to make a difference!". With that, the boy picked up another starfish and looked at it intently before heaving out into the sea. He then turned to the old man and said...

"It Makes A Difference To This One"...

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Day #4-Today is the BIG DAY- GOTCHA

I couldn't believe the day had finally arrived- the day Bernie and I had been preparing for and waiting for and dreaming about for over 2 years!! I have to confess that as you know, today is Saturday and we got Brody on Monday, and I just really don't remember much about the day leading up to getting to the Guangdong Adoption Center! I vaguely remember having breakfast at the hotel, then going to the bank as a group and getting our cash converted to RMB for the orphanage donation, then preparing gifts for the nannies and the orphanage director. It seemed like forever, but finally, 3pm rolled around!!! Our group gathered in the hotel lobby, and then got on the bus for the trip to the GAC. The Guangdong Adoption Center is in a typical Guangdong neighborhood-shops below, apartments above, extrememly crowded. We pull up to the building then went up to the 8th floor. Everyone was so excited! I was on the verge of tears, I could hardly wait to see my baby!!!

We get off the elevator and go into a large room with a hallway and offices, and in one room in particular we could see people with babies sitting around. Our babies!!! I looked for Brody but I couldn't see him. There was a lot of noise and confusion, because there was another group of families there at the same time getting their babies, too. Finally, they called one of the families from our group to come and get their baby, and that couple was so happy! I figured we would be towards the end because of alphabetical order, so imagine our surprise when they called our names next! Out through the curtain toddled a little tiny beautiful boy with a pale yellow shirt and shorts with blue jelly shoes and a crew cut!! He was sooooo cute! He was lead to us then stood there in all his tininess, and allowed me to pick him up. It really was one of the most wonderful and meaningful moments of my life! Bernie and I just looked at him, his tiny fingers and toes, and how pretty his eyes and mouth were! He just looked up at us, didn't cry one little peep. While the other families were getting their babies, Bernie, Makenna, Mom and I got down on the floor and played with Brody. We brought some toys to play with, and also some water and Cheerios. Food is a great ice-breaker! Bernie and I were just reveling in the moment, and Brody was letting us take turns holding, kissing, and squeezing him. We were able to go around and look at other familie's babies and congratulate them, and everyone was crying and taking pictures-it was great! Brody took it all in stride, acted like he did it every day. We got the opportunity to speak with two of the nannies from the orphanange and ask a few questions about Brody's life up to now. We were grateful to have a chance to have some questions answered!

After a long while, we all were herded back onto the bus with our new arrivals. There was remarkably little screaming or crying on the bus, or at least if there was I didn't notice it! While playing with Brody, we even coaxed a few smiles out of him, and he has a beautiful, big smile with beautiful white teeth! We got back to the hotel, and we all just sat around in our room and played, keeping everything low-key because we didn't want to stress Brody out too much. Makenna was in hog heaven, and was anxious to show him every toy we brought for him. They had fun playing together while he sat on my lap. Around 5:30 pm I had to meet with our coordinator for some adoption paperwork. As I went out the door, Brody cried just a little bit, and although I don't want him unhappy, I was really glad that he was already going to miss me! After I got back, we had some dinner and a bath, and Brody went to bed with very little fuss. He slept all night long without a peep, and I am hopeful that I am going to have at least 1 good sleeper.

What a great day! I am the luckiest Mom in the world-two beautiful babies to love!!!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. So, so happy for you all!!! It sounds like Brody is doing really well!! What a great day:)

    Annie (another DG Momma)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so happy for all of you!! I couldn't help but cry reading your last post! How exciting to finally get to love on that little guy! Everything fine at the house...looking forward to seeing you all! Enjoy the rest of your trip!

    Kathie

    ReplyDelete